Sunday, September 29, 2013

Entrepreneurial questions and answers

For part three of our homework assignment, we were asked to answer the following questions about our semester project:

Question: I have read your idea and I would like to understand a little more about it. What need does this idea fill? Is this a need that you have yourself? Who would share this need?

Answer: I personally do not have a need for this idea, but it fills an area of journalism that does not currently exist. Now that journalism is entering a fully digital age, I think it is time to start embracing unique ways in which we tell stories; my idea fills a need to tell stores in a new and digital approach. My idea is aimed primarily at the gaming community, so it would be fans of video games and the video game industry who would share this need.

Q: At this point you should have some idea of who the average user of your product will be. What is the profile of that person?

A: Like I said before, the average user of my product would be a fan of video games and the video game industry. That being said, it would be hard to put a profile on this person. The common stereotype of a gamer is a nerdy individual who spends hours upon hours playing games, but that stereotype isn't necessarily true. Anybody can play video games, so it is impossible to make an accurate profile of a user of my product.

Q: Who wants this product that you intend to develop?

A: Anyone who has an interest in news and/or video games would have an interest in my product. The idea is to appeal to both everyday news readers and gamers, and I think this would provide both types of people a unique way to experience news.

Q: What problem or need are you satisfying for your customers? (Remember, the customers aren't necessarily the people who will be using your product. For example, television audiences aren't customers unless they pay for the product, as in HBO. The customers are advertisers.)

A: It's hard to deny that two of the biggest industries are the gaming and news industries. I think it would be a great opportunity for advertisers to get their products out to a large population. 

Q: Who wants this product?

A: Gamers and those interested in new ways to tell journalistic stories want this product. The video game community is critical, but it is also willing to try new things. There are unique innovations in the gaming industry all the time, and gamers are always willing to try something that could potentially improve their gaming experience. 

Q: We all have to live. Where is the money in this product?

A: Like other news outlets, the company would offer different subscription packages for the news stories and the video games. 

Q: You are a journalist. Where is the journalism in this product?

A: Although my company would be making games, it would also be dedicated to delivering factual and ethical stories on a daily basis to prove that we are serious journalists. In addition, hired reporters would make sure that each game is as factual and ethical as the articles. We would be making games, but we would be making games for the sake of telling stories in a new and interactive way. 

Q: We've read that passion is key to success of a new venture. Money alone will not sustain it. So where is the passion in your product?

A: I have loved video games ever since I was a child, and for the past three years I have been learning how important and integral journalism is to the world. These two things have had a large impact on my life throughout my college career, and I don't believe it is enough to work in one of the industries. I want to make good video games that tell well-written stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment