Monday, September 9, 2013

Facebook's "personalized newspaper" might just be the future of journalism

Back in March Facebook announced that it's news feed would eventually transform into a "personalized newspaper." To put it simply, Facebook's new look is going to simplify the user face and make things easily accessible. From photos to posts to groups you like and follow, you choose what you want to look at.

It's a cool move on Facebook's part, especially since it seems to be embracing the idea that it has a large role in journalism, but I want to see newspapers and news outlets adopt this personalized newspaper idea.

My news diet is very specific. I follow a lot of gaming and tech news outlets, and I primarily read The Boston Globe for national and international news. I occasionally listen to NPR and NHPR, and I'll pick up some local papers from time to time. But when I do pick up the Globe or local paper I don't read the whole thing; most of the time I only read about half. It's not that I don't like what's being written, but sometimes issues are heavy in subjects that don't appeal to my interests.

With journalism heading to a completely digital age, I think it's time for personalized newspapers to make a permanent appearance. If I want to pay for news, I don't want to pay for a paper that has a bunch of articles I'm not going to read. This relates to my idea that papers should offer specific subscription packages.

Newspapers should start adopting this idea now to prepare for the completely digital age. Journalism isn't what it used to be any more. Readers can read anything they want on the Internet; that means they cam choose to completely ignore your articles. Why not avoid that and let them choose what their paper looks like every morning?


No comments:

Post a Comment