Sunday, November 17, 2013

My business' competition

The second part of our assignment is to identify any competition that we could face. I've already written about this briefly, but these are the gaming news sites that I have identified to be my main competition:

Game Informer
I talk about Game Informer a lot, but for good reason. It is one of the most subscribed magazines in America, with a circulation of 7.8 million and 3 million online readers, according to Slate.com. Its staff members are excellent journalists who have a wide range of reporting multimedia knowledge. Since it is primarily a magazine, Game Informer has very well-written articles. Game Informer would most likely be my main competitor in the video game news industry.

In order to compete with Game Informer, I would have to enforce that in order to be a good journalist, one has to know how to write and report. As important as multimedia has become nowadays, it's crucial to know the basics of journalism.

IGN
IGN, or International Gaming News, is right up there with Game Informer. It's an online-only news site that tends take advantage of video features more than written features. While Game Informer would off competition through words, IGN would offer competition through multimedia.

Even though I would place emphasis on writing and reporting, I would require all staff members to have experience working with multi- and social media. It is the only way I will be able to compete with IGN.

Polygon
Polygon takes the best aspects of Game Informers and IGN and puts it into one. There are excellent, well-written features, thoughtful video features and discussions, and a beautiful web layout. Each feature is designed like an online magazine, tempting the reader to read more and more.

There are other gaming news sites like Gamesradar, Joystiq, and GameSpot that offer great video game journalism, but Game Informer, IGN, and Polygon are the most popular and well-made sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment