Sunday, November 3, 2013

Response to "Inside Forbes" article

One of our reading assignments for Monday was a Forbes article titled "Inside Forbes: Journalists Need to Understand the Ad Business, Not Sulk and Go Home." It's basically just an informative article about the different types of advertising, but I'm the exact type of person that this is aimed at.

We talk about advertisement pretty frequently in our entrepreneurial journalism class, and I tend to zone out or loose track of what we are talking about. I'm a journalist after all, why should I care about this stuff? Just leave it for the business guys.

While I still think there's some truth to how I used to think (I certainly don't plan on managing advertising), the article proved that I need to learn some of the basics. If I don't know at least something about how newspapers make money, I can't contribute to discussions about the industry.

I like how the article related to Terry's discussion last week. The old business models of the industry don't work anymore; we have to find ways to adapt to the digital age.

No comments:

Post a Comment