Monday, October 14, 2013

An important lesson on self-branding

I think I've mentioned this before on the blog, but my goal is to one day become a video game journalist. I love video games and the video game industry; it seems that there is something new to talk about everyday. Working for a gaming publication would be amazing, but this weekend showed me that I have a lot of work to do.

Two weeks ago John Herman, a social/multi-media guru and self-branding expert, gave the contact info for Chris Dahlen, a local freelance writer who has spent a good amount of time as a games journalism. I spoke over the phone with him, and he gave me great advice for how to get started as a video game journalism.

Our conversation basically boiled down to self-branding. I will have to pitch story ideas to editors, remain in touch with them, and prove that I can be a reliable and talented addition to their staff. I have my own gaming blog and my social media accounts have a lot of gaming content, but it's time to go beyond that. I need to take charge and dive into the video game journalism world.

Self-branding is important for journalists, but it's equally important for businesses, especially startups and entrepreneurs. When you pitch business ideas or advertise, it's up to you to show what your business is about and what you stand for. This isn't something I was thinking about for my semester project, but knowing how I'm going to brand it is on the top of my list.


No comments:

Post a Comment