Sunday, October 27, 2013

What I learned from Meg Heckman

Last week Meg Heckman, I fantastic local journalist, came to speak to our class about what it's like in the journalism industry right now and how important it is to keep coming up with good ideas. Meg focuses on hyper local journalism, so all the entrepreneurial examples she gave were based on that. My favorite example she gave was Chicago Talks, a hyper local site that reports solely on the poorer areas of Chicago. City news seems so focused on the industrial district that the majority of the city is overlooked. I've never thought about it before Meg showed us the website, but it's such a fantastic idea. Imagine how many stories newspapers overlook because they are too focuses on "bigger" things.

If Meg taught us anything, it's that coming up with new ideas in the journalism industry is critical. It moves too fast for us sit still and watch. As my editor at my old internship told me on my last day of work, zig where others zag. If you see a good idea, think of something even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment