Sunday, October 6, 2013

I think I've realized why newspapers are struggling financially...I think

Through the assigned reading I learned about things called assets. Assets are things that can be used to generate revenue, so they can pretty much be anything. Since this is a journalism program, I thought what a paper like The New York Times could have for assets.  I came up with three things: newspaper copies (both physical and digital), advertisement (both print and online), and subscriptions.

Before the Internet, those three things sound like more than enough because people had to pay for their news, but people get free news all the time in this day and age. Between social media and an absence of paywalls, it's no wonder that newspapers have a tough time making money.

When I look at it this way, I have a better idea for how my "company" can bring in a strong revenue; it needs a variety of assets. Subscriptions won't be enough, so I'm going to have to think of other assets I can sell to customers when it comes time to make a business plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment