Sunday, October 6, 2013

Business homework: attempt #1

Our homework assignment for this week was reading on various aspects of business. Being a class about entrepreneurs, I figured this topic would come up sooner or later.

Business is my Kryptonite. I've never done well in business classes, and the terminology and ideology behind it goes way over my head. You'd think that understanding vocabulary would be easy an English major, but something about business vocabulary just doesn't stick.

The reading topics range from accounting equations to depreciation. The first time I read them through, I had no idea what the majority of the reading meant. Assets, liabilities, and equity seem like easy concepts to get down. But accounting, cash flow, balance sheets: those will be the death of me.

Although this is challenging, this is exactly what I signed up for. I don't plan on owning a business in the future (who knows though, maybe someday I will), but I think it's important for me to know these things as a professional. There's no easy way to understand business, so I'm just going to have to keep plugging away.

No comments:

Post a Comment