Monday, October 14, 2013

I sure am glad I didn't major in business

Last week's visitor was Joe Burke, my professor's friend who bought his magazine Points East a number of years ago. It was basically two-hour lesson on the terms, skills, etc, that you have to know to run a successful business. It was long, and my brain hurt afterwards, but it taught me one very important thing.

Business, no matter how you look at it, is not easy. I always thought that being a businessman (or businesswoman) meant taking numbers and adding and subtracting them. There's so much more to that though. A businessman has to predict, keep track of expenses, and know what to do when a bank account is lower than expected, just to name a few. The mind of a journalist and the mind of a businessman are two very different things; I can't imagine majoring in business after Joe's lecture.


No comments:

Post a Comment